Do I Need Glasses for 20/30 Vision?
Is it ever challenging for you to see? If so, an eye exam is in order. One of the things your eye doctor will do is a visual acuity test. That will tell them–and you–if you need glasses.
Let’s say you had 20/20 vision at your last eye exam. This is standard vision, which means that you could clearly say what most other people could at a distance of 20 feet.
However, your vision can change over time. What does 20/30 vision mean, assuming that’s what your vision has changed to? If it’s 20/30 vision now, that means that the object you could once see at 20 feet away, you’d have to move 10 feet closer in to see now.
So, the question is: does 20/30 vision need glasses? Let’s chat about this!
Do I need glasses for 20/30 vision?
Your visual sharpness might not be as strong as most people’s vision, but it’s not far below average if you have 20/30 vision. Many people with this level of visual acuity see fine without corrective lenses.
Several factors play roles in whether you need glasses for 20/30 vision. For instance:
- Does your lifestyle require the most precise vision? 20/30 vision may suffice in most occupations, but there are times when 20/20 vision is preferred. For instance, if you’re a pilot or spend a lot of time on the road, you might need clearer vision to ensure you can see your surroundings the best. Glasses can correct your vision to 20/20 in most cases--at least while you’re wearing your eyewear.
- Do you have any vision loss symptoms? If you’re experiencing blurry vision, eye irritation, or headaches, you might have a refractive error, such as astigmatism. This condition may develop throughout your life, meaning that your symptoms can worsen. Special glasses are often used to adjust how light infiltrates your eyes, which can help you process images better and alleviate some of your vision loss symptoms.
- Does your vision make it hard to do certain tasks? In general, it shouldn’t be difficult to do things like reading in good lighting if you have 20/30 vision. However, if you struggle to do anything else (such as differentiating colors or driving in the dark), prescription lenses are a good option. This can help restore the clarity in your vision, making it easier to do the tasks you once did.
No matter your visual acuity, seeing an eye doctor should be a top priority if you fear your vision is impacting your quality of life. If you’ve never had a comprehensive eye exam before, there’s no need to stress, as it’s harmless. Your eye doctor will assess your eye health and vision via several tests before prescribing corrective lenses.
Does a child with 20/30 vision need glasses?
According to the American Optometric Association (AOA), vision issues in kids can lead to problems at school and with friends and sports. Getting the right eye care can help your child overcome these issues, which can lead to better performance in the classroom and beyond.
If your child has 20/30 vision and is experiencing any of these symptoms, glasses may be helpful:
- Eye discomfort or tired eyes
- Shutting an eye to read or use the computer
- Tilting their head to see better
Keep in mind that your child’s eyes and vision may change the older they get. Myopia, for instance, can begin when your little one enters school and worsen into their early 20s.
So, the best way to see if your child needs glasses for 20/30 vision is to work with an optometrist. Be sure to schedule your child an annual comprehensive eye exam so that the eye doctor can monitor their vision and determine the best form of correction (if necessary).
If your child is nervous about the eye exam, don’t worry too much. That is perfectly normal! And at For Eyes, we strive to provide a comfortable, welcoming environment and explain what to expect before the eye exam so that your child feels at ease during the appointment.
Can a person have 20/30 vision and see well without glasses?
Absolutely! As we mentioned above, glasses are a personal choice. If you feel your vision affects your quality of life, it’s worth considering glasses. However, you can still do many basic tasks, such as cleaning, with or without glasses for 20/30 vision.
To find out if you should get glasses, scheduling an eye exam is paramount. That way, you and your eye doctor can discuss the pros and cons and see if glasses are a good choice for you.
Can I get contact lenses for 20/30 vision instead of glasses?
Yes, you can. If you’ve never worn glasses before and are hesitant about getting started, don’t worry. There is only a small adaptation period, and you could get great vision in no time.
On the other hand, if you prefer contact lenses, that’s another great option for 20/30 vision. At For Eyes, we offer various kinds of contacts to suit your needs. The important thing is that you get the vision correction you need and deserve if your eyesight is impacting the way you live.
If you prefer contact lenses over glasses, all you’ll need is a contact lens exam. Just know that contacts don’t work for everyone. Your optometrist will let you know which form of vision correction is right for your eyes and take your input into which option you prefer.
Summary: Are prescription lenses required for a 20/30 vision prescription?
20/30 vision suggests that you can view details from 30 feet away than the average person can make out at 20 feet away. So, while your vision isn’t perfect, it’s not far below average.
To see if you need glasses for 20/30 vision, consider whether your eyesight is affecting your quality of life. The same applies to your child. Ask yourself, “Is my child’s vision prescription affecting how they do at school or in sports? Do they have any vision loss symptoms?”
If so, glasses may be worth it. They can clear your vision up to 20/20 (or better), depending on your eyes. So, if you feel you need glasses, don’t worry, as many people do. Simply call your nearest optometrist, and have our team set you up with an appointment.
This blog was originally published on April 21, 2020, and expanded in August 2022.
Shop at For Eyes for your next pair of glasses.
Show off your unique style, and browse our wide variety of frames from your favorite brands for men, women, and kids. Stop by your local For Eyes, or order online at your convenience.